Battle Rattle

Viral video shows Magnificent Bastards lined up for miles, saluting Gold Star families during Ramadi 10th memorial ceremony

Bookmark and Share

A recent video posted to Facebook captures a touching gesture of respect and honor. In it, members of 2nd Battalion, 4th Marines, line miles of road to salute the families of fallen Marines on their way to an April 6 memorial aboard Camp Pendleton, Calif., that marked the 10th anniversary of the battle of Ramadi.

In the video shot from inside a passing vehicle, hundreds of Magnificent Bastards — as the unit is known — snap to attention and salute.

The ceremony at the Camp San Mateo Memorial garden commemorated members of the unit lost during the 2004 battle that was among the Iraq War’s hardest fought. It resulted in the death of 34 Marines and one sailor.

A series of coordinated ambushes on April 6 of that year sparked the battle that would also result in the death of an estimated 250 insurgents over five days. It was a pivotal fight in the capital of Al Anbar province where Marine would continue to engage an entrenched insurgency for the remainder of the war.

Tags: , ,

Comments

1. Lorenzo LaMantia Says:
    April 8th, 2014 at 6:06 pm

I have something in my eye…it is a tear. Semper Fi!

2. Sgt Liendo Says:
    April 8th, 2014 at 6:09 pm

“If the Army and the Navy
    Ever look on Heaven’s scenes,
    They will find the streets are guarded
    By United States Marines.”

3. Adrian Avila Says:
    April 8th, 2014 at 8:36 pm

This battle caused the combat replacement units of short timers to be called up and sent down range. Semper.

4. Tom LoCascio Says:
    April 8th, 2014 at 10:30 pm

Semper Fi……. Always Faithful

5. Dianne Layfield Says:
    April 9th, 2014 at 12:14 am

to My 2/4 Family, what an Outstanding weekend of Reunion and Remembrance…thank you for sharing so much with each other ,and all of us Gold Star Families. WOW, Our Loved ones, and your Brothers will Never be Forgotten. God Bless your Loyalty to your Brothers. I Love and Appreciate everyone of you. Mama Layfield

6. Chris launier Says:
    April 9th, 2014 at 2:06 am

Semper Fi. All of our collective hearts, honor, and love go to the families of our fallen..

7. Charles Lowell Says:
    April 9th, 2014 at 6:59 am

Been a volunteer at Maines Run for the Fallen. As a Marine dad, always amazed at the brotherhood . Will borrow your greeting Semper Fi, well done!

8. Eric "Mad Dog" Secor Says:
    April 9th, 2014 at 4:40 pm

This is my Corps, Honor, Respect, Esprit de Corps. I am proud to have been part of this brotherhood and to the “Magnificent Bastards” of 2/4, I salute you.

Siempre Fi and Long Live the Fighters!

Eric Secor
    0311
    Kilo Co. 3/3
    USMCR

9. Mary Manoukian Calhoun Says:
    April 10th, 2014 at 1:54 pm

In loving memory of Cpl Nicholas Manoukian USMC 1st batallion 6th Marines KIA Oct 21,2006 Ar Ramadi Iraq

“They gave all of their tomorrows for our todays”

10. Commission Checklist is the first and only true step-by-step, take you by the hand system for generating real, measurable results. We also have massive proof, from our own sites and previous students who didn’t even have a 1/4 of the tools that the new Says:
    April 20th, 2014 at 6:47 am

Heya we’re with the primary moment listed here. I ran across that plank so i believe that it is actually helpful & this taught me to be available a great deal. I really hope to offer another thing once more along with help people as you helped me.