Battle Rattle

Watch: Future MOH recipient Kyle Carpenter gets call from the president

Bookmark and Share

Marine veteran Kyle Carpenter will become the newest recipient of the Medal of Honor in a ceremony at the White House June 19 for covering a grenade to save a friend during his 2012 deployment to Marjah, Afghanistan.

In anticipation of that event, the Marine Corps has released a beautiful new video showing Carpenter and his mom, Robin Carpenter, poring over old letters from boot camp and Carpenter’s deployment to Afghanistan prior to his act of heroism and the life-changing injuries that resulted.

At seven minutes, the video’s a little long, but completely worth the watch. Be sure to stay tuned until 05:15, when Carpenter takes a call on his cell phone from President Barack Obama, who congratulates him  on being approved to receive the military’s highest honor.

In one of the most touching moments of the video, Robin Carpenter reads from a card she sent her son while he was away.

“[As a child] you always had a cape on–Batman, Spiderman, Superman,” she reads. “That’s what you are now: Superman.”

We dare you not to cry.

Comments

1. JOE MAC EACHERN Says:
    June 11th, 2014 at 2:43 pm

From an old corps Marine (1969) I just wanted to say thank you and congratulation. From one South Carolina resident. SEMPER FIDELIS brother.

2. Dona Onyett Says:
    June 11th, 2014 at 2:58 pm

Thank you so much, Kyle Carpenter, for your service……I am very proud of you. Congratulations! My father was a Marine for 22 years and we were all so proud of him.
    Semper Fi

3. Michael Brown Says:
    June 11th, 2014 at 4:41 pm

From a MSgt Marine Corps retiree — Words cannot express the gratitude from our Nation and our Marine Corps — God Bless!

4. Teresa Chero Says:
    June 11th, 2014 at 9:09 pm

Dear Kyle… The Pure selfless heart that you have shown gives full meaning to our creed Honor Courage Commitment … You are a shinning example of the very best of this Country…You did our Corps Proud Sir…Thank You…To your parents… I am so profoundly thankful for all you have done..for raising such a wonderful young man…God Bless You All…Congratulations…Semper Fi

5. Thomas Hughes Says:
    June 11th, 2014 at 11:16 pm

Oorah brother, Semper Fidelis

6. mannie ibarra Jr Says:
    June 12th, 2014 at 7:49 am

Wow, I am lost for words. Proud to call you brother devil dog!!!! It is an amazing feeling reading the comments reading the love and support due to a big thing that we have in common, we are Marines!!!!! Beautiful thing!

7. Angelo Lema Says:
    June 12th, 2014 at 12:55 pm

Kyle, you make all of us old jarheads very proud. God bless you and your family. Semper Fi, Angelo St Clair Shores, MI

8. Mark Maurer Says:
    June 12th, 2014 at 8:02 pm

Kyle, today is my birthday and reading your story made my day. I am glad to say that 37 years ago, today, I too raised my right hand and joined the Marine Corps. It is because of young men and women like yourself that we are all proud of our Corps and our nation. Thank you for your service and sacrifice. God bless you and Semper Fi.

9. Eric Says:
    June 14th, 2014 at 3:23 pm

Now that’s a real Marine. I’m at a lost for words. Damm man that jerked a tear. Right on brother. Can’t wait to watch the ceremony.

Semper Fidelis

10. Nick Regini Says:
    June 20th, 2014 at 11:17 am

That brings tears to my eyes for a couple of reasons. First, Kyle persevered through the toughest adversity imagined; Marine Corps Boot Camp, Marine infantry training, lived in the most austere environment within Helmand Province, and strived for life after being hit. I’ve seen the horror of a blast like that while I was in Helmand, many don’t come back! Second, his family is awesome! For a Mom to decorate his hospital room with Christmas stockings really does a lot for a persons motivation. This reminds me of my family and the support of all the Marine families while their heroes are down range! Semper Fidelis Kyle!

11. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lGlEW5XmK2w Says:
    July 2nd, 2014 at 5:16 am

Hello, Neat post. There’s an issue together with
    your web site in internet explorer, may test this?
    IE nonetheless is the market chief and a big portion of other folks will leave out your great
    writing due to this problem.

12. gloria clemencia hidalgo h Says:
    July 8th, 2014 at 11:27 am

hola espero q te encuentres bien y al igual tu familia dios los bendiga te puedo pedirte un favor por el amor de mi dios y respeto