Flightlines

STRATCOM chief coy about his future

Air Force photo

The nominee to be the next commander of U.S. Strategic Command has been public since June 25, but the current commander isn’t speaking out definitively about his future plans.

Air Force Gen. Robert Kehler has been at the helm of STRATCOM since Jan. 2011. Last month, President Obama nominated Navy Adm. Cecil D. Haney to be his replacement, with Air Force Lt. Gen. James Kowalski nominated to be the next deputy commander. Haney is currently the commander of the U.S. Pacific Fleet.

Kehler told reporters this morning that he didn’t want to get out in front of the Defense Department and Senate process and say what he will do next, but that is serving “until someone finds something for me to do.”  Kehler has been in the Air Force for 38 years, starting out as a missile officer, and hinted that he could be “ready to move on.”

Tags:

Comments

  1. Joe Truttman Says:
    July 28th, 2013 at 9:49 am

    His future is a future of a retired four star, collecting that level of pay. That’s a future I’d like to have!

Leave a Reply