The Army announced May 15 that the 4th Brigade Combat Team, 3rd Infantry Division at Fort Stewart, Ga. is the winner of this year’s Philip A. Connelly Award for Excellence in Army food service.
Personnel from the International Food Service Executives Association and the Joint Culinary Center of Excellence traveled to Army garrisons around the world to evaluate both the quality of the service and the food itself at Army DFACs.
If you belong to one of the following units, let us know if you agree. And if you don’t but you think your chow’s the tops, let us know that, too.
2013 top units:
* Military garrison winner: 3rd Infantry Division, 4th Brigade Combat Team, Fort Stewart, Ga.
* Military garrison runner-up: 10th Special Forces Group, Fort Carson, Colo.
* Civilian garrison winner: Casey Main Dining Facility, Camp Red Cloud, Korea.
* Civilian garrison runner-up: Freedom Inn Dining Facility, Fort Meade, Md.
* Active Army field kitchen winner: Strike Inn, 101st Airborne Division (Air Assault), Fort Campbell, Ky.
* Active Army field kitchen runner-up: Christopher Kurth Dining Facility, 2nd Brigade Combat Team, 1st Cavalry Division, Fort Hood, Texas.
* Army Reserve field kitchen winner: 295th Ordnance Company, Hastings, Neb.
* Army Reserve field kitchen runner-up: 137th Quartermaster Company, South, El Monte, Calif.
* Army National Guard field kitchen winner: 1032nd Transportation Company, Gate City, Va.
* Army National Guard field kitchen runner-up: 212th Support Maintenance Company, Medina, Ohio.
When I was in the Army, my DFAC was the BEST mess hall on Ft Wainwright and all of Alaska
HHC AVN DFAC 91-96