The Scoop Deck

The “ultimate” Naval Academy patrol boat could be yours

(Photo via Craigslist)

Always wanted your own Navy ship? It may not sport guns, but this former training vessel could be your next floating home. (Photo via Craigslist)

If you’re in the market for a one-of-a-kind 100-foot yacht at a bargain basement price, has Craigslist got a deal for you!

This 1985 Naval Academy trawler that took generations of midshipmen on summer cruises, according to the seller’s description, sports one of the “best” hulls built in history, made from double-planked Alaskan cedar.

In its former life, the yard patrol boat now billed as the “ultimate trawler yacht” was a training vessel for mids that went on umpteen cruises up and down the East coast, giving mids their first taste of at sea life and liberty ports.

The academy is now bringing in a new class of YPs, but it’s unclear how this one got into the present owner’s hands; Navy Times reached out to the owner for its more recent history, but they did not immediately respond to requests.

YP 678, once typically helmed by a senior enlisted craftmaster, has five state rooms, three showers, a 15-seat mess deck, massive stainless steel galley, air conditioning and a large main salon. With 1,900 square feet, it’s more spacious than most apartments. But be forewarned: the buyer will need to sink some money into it.

“No leaks in hull,” the ad states. “Boat needs work.”

All this for only $30,000 bucks. Any takers?

Tags: , , , , , , , , , ,

Comments

1. Viajando a barcelona Says:
    August 6th, 2014 at 2:20 pm

es un placer leer artículos como el tuuyo

2. Don Says:
    August 6th, 2014 at 2:45 pm

Where is it located ?

3. James (Boat's) Genovese Says:
    August 6th, 2014 at 2:49 pm

We are looking for a decommissioned open rowing boat (whale?) to use as part of our educational Civil War Navy impression a-la the USS Onondaga pix. on the James River, 1865. (18-21″?) We are non profit and poor. Any help will be appreciated. A plastic boat is OK . We have a 10 foot rule.

4. Dan Says:
    August 6th, 2014 at 3:11 pm

Yes please tell me where it it located or the craigs list ad link. I am very interested.

5. Marc Brooks Says:
    August 6th, 2014 at 3:25 pm

I trained in that very boat during my time at the U.S. Naval Academy. I wish I had the money to buy it and sail it to St. Louis

6. David Hawkins Says:
    August 6th, 2014 at 4:16 pm

Chesapeake, VA. I took my youngster cruise on this boat – she’s looking pretty sad right now.

7. Don Says:
    August 6th, 2014 at 5:14 pm

How about a group buy

8. Terri Says:
    August 6th, 2014 at 5:52 pm

Can’t find it on Craigs list

9. William Says:
    August 6th, 2014 at 6:18 pm

I want this YP I was an instructor at the Naval Academy and ran many of GQ’s on that YP, tell me where the link is I will come up with the money!!!

10. Jim Green (OS 1) Says:
    August 6th, 2014 at 6:56 pm

Pennant 1 for the LANTPAC run to Bermuda 1989…..

11. Jerry flowers Says:
    August 6th, 2014 at 7:15 pm

Keep me in the loop

12. Charity Says:
    August 6th, 2014 at 7:56 pm

I worked on that boat 2008 and it was junk then. Whoever buys this will need to invest a massive amount of money. Your literally paying for the hull and history

13. john Says:
    August 6th, 2014 at 9:55 pm

I offer 29,500

14. Octavio Says:
    August 7th, 2014 at 12:38 am

Could you please send more photos!

15. Francesco Says:
    August 7th, 2014 at 1:41 am

Please, could you send more Technical details about the vessel, photos and current location?
    Kindest Regards
    Francesco

16. mstrausbough Says:
    August 7th, 2014 at 9:22 am

Would put her up on land and make house out of it. What a project that would be.

17. Rick Says:
    August 7th, 2014 at 10:00 am

I spent time at the Academy on the earlier YPs in the early 70s. I figure $30,000 to purchase this YP and more than a half million to refurbish and you might have a decent yacht – or at least a centerpiece for your backyard fountain. :)

It does bring back some memories though ….

18. Steven Bannick Says:
    August 7th, 2014 at 11:15 am

I am interested if you could send me the how too’s and what nots on purchasing please.

19. Steve Says:
    August 7th, 2014 at 11:35 am

This is the link for the boat.

20. Steve Says:
    August 7th, 2014 at 11:35 am

21. Jerry Says:
    August 7th, 2014 at 11:54 am

Awesome

22. Ross Says:
    August 7th, 2014 at 12:34 pm

I have 40000 cash plz get in touch with me I really want this vessel

23. Mike Says:
    August 7th, 2014 at 12:51 pm

Did LANTPATs twice with these YPs (OINC).

They seem to be selling 678 for the cost of one fuel fill up($30K). Agree with @Rick it would be at least a half million to refurb. Sad to see it in such bad shape. Always thought it would be cool to have one.

24. Mike Says:
    August 7th, 2014 at 12:53 pm

@Ross craigslist ad says 757-350-9782 or 757-635-7335

25. John Cavallaro Says:
    August 7th, 2014 at 10:01 pm

I used to mine hunt with one of these in Kings Bay. Ours was CT10

26. Paul Haberman Says:
    August 11th, 2014 at 1:22 pm

Wher she ported at?

27. stevecase.org Says:
    August 14th, 2014 at 2:42 pm

I’m going to keep this Extraordinarily short. I was sure as hell shocked when I read/saw this (especially when I viewed the short video). For a short time, you can start making finances online with an incredible Accessible 9-part video training course. You’ll be shown everything you need to savor to pronto and surely multiply revenue from anywhere in the world employing your computer. Check it out. These videos are TRULY astonishing and cutting-edge; I’ve never seen anything like them before. Download this $37 video training course today. Believe me, you’ll love it. Trust me. I’ve already downloaded them myself, and they’re worth far more than $37. They’re plainly worth 300 times that price, and they can be yours now, with no strings attached if you act now. This is a fantastic event you need to take advantage of right away before it’s no longer available. Really, I mean it – check it out!

28. Walt Maeser Says:
    August 20th, 2014 at 10:19 am

If an individual or group decides to buy her she’ll need lots of attention. As I’m retired and live in an area (90minutes from her mooring) ripe with boatbuilding/repair yards-I would be willing to act as custodian for YP678 and could manage the restoration process. I’ve been in,on,around and have operated boats for 60 years. Held U.S.C.G. license for over 30 years. Any party wishing to discuss call 609-519-1288. Good luck to the eventual buyer.
    Father of USNA grad 2006-Lt. Adrienne Maeser,Cambridge,UK

29. Peterson 83 Says:
    August 20th, 2014 at 10:41 am

Boat is currently docked in Solomons MD near the fuel dock, looks like they should pay you to take it…

30. Adam Saint Says:
    August 20th, 2014 at 12:34 pm

I am currently a YP engineer stationed at the Naval Academy. If you really want one, wait until we put one up for auction. When we get rid of them, they need about the same amount of work and sell for less. We sold YP 685 at auction. Last year and only got $18,000 out of it.

31. Matt Says:
    August 20th, 2014 at 12:36 pm

You are all not the only ones to think about referbing one of these vessels. Go to Edgewater, MD (South of Annapolis on Route 2) and look at the big ole’ YP sitting in the water and hasn’t moved for about a year. Cost of doing an overhaul on the YP has left it unoccupied since the purchase (about 2-3 years ago). Maybe its the same YP just moved down to Solomons to confuse people. Just because you have 30-40K doesn’t mean you can afford to actually repair, operate and maintain the ship. Good luck on winning the lottery. Don’t piss away your retirement on that thing…